Palm Beach’s Corruption-Busting Flying Machine

Anti-corruption blimp

Get ready to see a lot of this blimp over Palm Beach County! (Special to Gossip Extra)

It’s fat and red and white and it floats above chimneys.

Santa? Nope!

Get ready, Palm Beach County, for your new corruption-exposing … blimp!

Marty O'Boyle

Marty O’Boyle, from horseback to the blimp! (Courtesy Marty O’Boyle)

Like a 21st century pillory, the 94-foot blimp will carry 40-foot-tall messages trying to shame some elected officials.

And the flying object is being trucked to the area this week from Tuscon, Ariz., after it was bought by political critic Marty O’Boyle.

The Gulfstream millionaire was known for flying banners behind airplanes that called Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw a crook and former State Attorney Michael McAuliffe a putz.

O’Boyle accused them of cronyism and running inefficient agencies that cost the taxpayers too much money.

Now, O’Boyle is graduating to something much bigger to spread his anti-corruption crusade.

For news you can’t find anywhere else sent to your inbox, click to register for the Gossip Extra alerts

He paid $200,000 for the hot-air balloon, pending a Federal Aviation Administration inspection.

Hovering over homes

And while it was originally used for research over the Amazon rainforest in Brazil, the airship could soon be hovering over Bradshaw’s house at West Palm Beach’s fancy Ibis Golf & Country Club!

Or the neighborhood of any other elected official!

“A plane goes 50 to 70 mph, 1,000 feet in the air,” O’Boyle said. “The letters on the banners are about 4 feet tall.

“This blimp has a Velcro system where you can make up any message you want in 40-foot letters, and it travels about 15 mph.

“I can hover outside Bradshaw’s kitchen window for four hours with the word ‘Crook’ on it before I need to land somewhere,” O’Boyle said.

Lawn-Mower Engine

The engine is a two-stroke lawn-mower number, and the pilot sits in a shopping cart-like gondola.

Doesn’t sound too safe!

“My son’s a pilot and I’ll fly it if I have to,” said O’Boyle. “The moment I’ll see a politician stray from his duties, we’ll be flying. The way I see it, Mr. State Attorney works for me. And Mr. State Senator works for me. I owe it to my county to do this.”

Palm Beach County became known as Corruption County over the past few years after four county commissioners and two West Palm Beach commissioners were arrested for misusing their authority.

Comments

1. Toni says

Sounds like a great idea, the only problem is these scoundrels know no embarrassment. To all of them it’s just lining their pockets while they are in office and to hell with the taxpayers.

• TIDE ferrari racing,farrah donnard says

Terriific Tony. So many Palm beach County CROOKS, so little time. Take Al West sky diving with out parachute!

2. Mel says

Mr oboyle.
    Please do not forget that Mcauliffe’s wife is a judge. We should be making sure she does her job. Lets not forget that Bradshaw’s wife (works for SFWMD) uses a contract with a local company has with PBSO to purchase equipment. Problem is it should go out as a bid to local businesses. Not an automatic to Bradshaw’s daughter at the company she works for.

3. Funny says

This is the same guy that told fired Pbso mark Dugan , wanna be biker sessa,henroid and new state attorney to fabricate lies about mcaullife and Bradshaw. All because his daughter is a drunk and was found guilty of a DUI.

4. roger says

Hopefully this blimp will be able to have huge photos on it , it is a must to show Bradshaw’s drooping gobbler chin, comb over hair , and saggy body so the public can see what a aging political criminal looks like . Then of course his hit men like that sawed off spoiled little liar and killer Custer .

5. Martin O'Boyle says

Dear Funny (Pathetic would fit you better):

My name is Martin O’Boyle. I am the father of Sara O’Boyle, a young lady that you called a “Drunk”. Why I had no idea that you knew Sara so well. I thought I knew all of her friends. But then again, her friends are not cowardly and don’t make accusations and then run and hide behind a “handle” or their mama’s dress.

I have concluded that what you say is unfounded and lacks a factual basis. We both know that I have nore factual information to call you a “smacked ass” then you do to call me saughter any name. Incidentaly, no matter what my personal feelings are, I will not call you a ‘SMACKED ASS”. MAMA TEACH THE BOY ABOUT LIFE! TAKE HIM TO THE WOODSHED.

Hey Funny – give me a ring. I would like to check your manlihood (if any exists). 561 213 3486

6. Funny says

Relax Marty. Why don’t you spend a little money on your daughters alcohol problem and a little less on trying to blame other people for her drunkeness.

7. John Smith says

Some wealthy individual tried the same thing here in South Florida for Romney campaign and it wound up crash landing in someones backyard.. This thing can say what? One Word for a message? I have seen those airplane banners with far more than one worded messages. Poor investment O’Boyle.. Looking forward to seeing this circus act.