The competition was organized by the Ben Siegel Reptiles store, and the winner was to get a python.
Now, Broward Sheriff’s Office detectives are investigating the death.
The victim was identified as Edward Archbold.
Minutes after Friday night’s contest, according to a BSO spokeswoman, Archbold started feeling ill. He started regurgitating and later collapsed shortly after exiting the store.
Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue responded to the scene and transported Archbold to Broward Health North, where he was pronounced dead.
None of the half dozen other contestants appeared to have medical issues after consuming the roaches.
An autopsy of Archbold took place over the weekend and results won’t be available for weeks.
The store put up a video of the contest earlier today on YouTube showing Archbold gagging and choking on the insects.
The video disappeared from the site this afternoon but Gossip Extra found this one of a worm-eating contest Friday at the store:
May 23 at 11 : 16 AM 1
May 22 at 18 : 32 PM 0
May 20 at 10 : 03 AM 1
May 19 at 06 : 37 AM 1